I have a confession to make that might come of a surprise to some of you. Can you guess what it is? Alright, I will tell you. I do not like the summer. Shocker, I know. Well, to be clear I do not hate the summer but I don’t love it either. Here are a few of my reasons:
1) I have seasonal allergies and need to take medication every day so I don’t spend time outside sneezing or scratching my entire body,
2) I do not have air conditioning – need I say more?
3) My hair expands in the humidity. Hello hair conditioner! You are my new best friend.
4) Bugs – this one is pretty self-explanatory. I would also like to add that every time I get bitten by a bug the bite swells about 500x its size and becomes unbearably itchy which is why I take allergy medication every day.
5) I don’t swim. I have had a lifelong fear of drowning. I have no idea where this fear comes from but sometimes I think I may have drown in a past life. Swimming is often a summer activity that many friends love to partake in and I usually want no part of it. However, fears are meant to be overcome so maybe one day I will venture out into the deep end.
6) Sweat but not the good kind. Good sweat happens when you have just finished hot yoga or a fun and sassy dance class. Summer sweat usually occurs whenever you go for a walk or sometimes simply step outside.
7) The unspoken pressure to doing something fun every single day. Don’t get me wrong, I love to do fun things every day and I try to make the most out of every experience but let’s face it when you have a full-time job and a blog to run it sometimes becomes difficult to do something wild and crazy each day, which is why I have decided to make the most of the rest of my summer. We have all heard the saying that, “life is what you make of it” so I have made the conscience decision to put this saying into practice and you can too! Read on for some of my tips for making the most of the summer even when it is the end of August.
Whenever, I need a pick me up I love to write down a few positive things to make me feel better. In order to brighten my outlook on the summer I am going to include some things that I do enjoy about the hot months:
1) The summer breeze, it really makes me feel fine. The sound of leaves blowing in the wind is simply heavenly to me. Despite my distaste for sweating, I love the feel of the warm summer wind. Martin Prince from The Simpsons sang it best.
2) Flowers and trees in full bloom. Although flowers and leaves begin to bloom in the spring some forms of vegetation really come alive in the summer. Seeing the lush greens on leaves and hydrangeas, Princess Beatrix Hydrangeas to be exact, in bloom really cheers me up.
3) Rooftop patios can only be enjoyed in the summer and boy are they wonderful! I love being able to see views from the six – pun intended – from the sky. My favourite rooftops are the Thompson Hotel and Lavelle.
4) Fresh fruit and vegetables. During the summer, there is an abundance of delicious fruits and veggies that are in season that taste absolutely divine. On the weekends, I love to venture out to my local farmers market and purchase cherry tomatoes, peaches, cherries and strawberries. Yum! Yum! Yum! Fruits and vegetables always taste better from the farmer’s market.
5) To be honest, I love to entertain throughout the entire year but summer entertaining is always lovely. There is something really nice about being able eat comfortably outside while enjoying the sunlight.
7) The motivation to work out and exercise is especially strong for me during the summer because there are less clothes to wear and I want to look and feel my best.
8) Ice cream! So, I know that I just mentioned that the summer motivates me to exercise and stay fit but there is something about eating ice cream on a hot day, as long as I do not eat it every day – everything in moderation.
9) It is perfectly normal to wear white head to toe which doesn’t mean that I or anyone else cannot wear white during the other seasons throughout the year, but white is the quintessential shade of summer and I love to wear it.
10) It is also perfectly normal to wear bright colours! If you follow me, you know that I love to wear bright colours especially many bright colours in one outfit, see it for yourself here, here and here. Truthfully, I do believe that wearing bright colours during the winter is acceptable and I encourage it, look at bright colour in action during the winter here and here but there is just something special about wearing bright colours in the bright summer sun.
Another way that I have decided to make the most of the rest of summer is to make plans to have fun. Here is a list of the fun things that I plan on doing for the rest of the summer:
1) Go on a wine tour.
2) Go to a Blue Jays game.
3) Listen to classical music at Casa Loma.
4) Attend WWE RAW.
5) Attend WWE Smackdown.
6) Host a summer dinner.
7) Enjoy a rooftop restaurant.
8) Peacefully read a book outside.
9) Go for a refreshing morning walk.
10) Make Gazpacho soup.
Do you love or loathe the summer? What activities make you feel like you are making the most out of summer?
Thank you so much for reading and have a lovely day!